"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure what you do not understand." - Leonardo daVinci

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Desert Thirst

So I've been wanting to take a road trip to the Kelso Sand Dunes in Kelso, CA for about a month. So two days ago, I finally woke up, got my playlist, packed up the right shit and my camera, and drove off. A big rig almost crashed into me while I was on the 605 North. Avoiding traffic and near death experiences, I finally got on the very last freeway while I was in Ludlow,CA (2.5 hours later). I was on the 15 and I didnt even see it, but this sand storm hits my car so hard it sent me into the next lane, good thing a car wasn't next to me. I didn't run into a sand storm that bad after that (good thing too). Finally arriving in Kelso, CA I got off (Exit 78 Kelbaker Rd). I saw this big rock formation and I had to pull off the road and get out my camera.
Got back into my car and drove onward for about 16 more miles, missing the road I had to turn on, I turned around and turned down the gravel road (poor tires), but fuck it I drove 3 hours might as well do it. I'm the only car there, I park and used the most disgusting bathroom of my life. Seeing the signs of snakes, I walked forward saying goodbye to my car. I ofcourse brought water, car keys, and my camera. Seeing footsteps, desert plants, big flying insects, and snake trails I tried to not let the burning sun bother me. (I put on 70 SPF and remembered to wear short shorts.) I walked and walked, trekking quickly is hard to do in the sandy desert. I turn to look back, my car being a small, silver speck in the distance I keep on walking. I stop and calculate how much farther I have to walk in order to reach the very top of the sand dune. I stopped to drink and snap some photos, my feet are burning, my body is on fire, my legs cramp off and on, the more I walked the heavier my feet got, and my eyes were tired of scanning the ground for snakes. The more I drank, the thirstier I got, but I didn't want to drink too much I didn't want to puke at the sand dunes. I knew it would be hell for me to have to walk all the way back so I said adieu and turned around. And as I walked towards my car, the closer I got to it the more thankful I am that I turned around when I did. I felt like I was dying by the time I got to my car, I didn't give a fuck about snakes anymore, I felt my face burning and I was so exhausted from trekking through all that fucking sand. And I had holes in my shoes (why I didn't think of that, I didn't know) so the more I walked the more hot sand got into my shoes, burning my feet and making my feet heavier. I felt stupid because so many have lived in this environment and had to walk through burning deserts for days, but I threw myself in that environment so I didn't feel so bad, but am impressed by those who find trekking through the burning desert not a problem. And it made me miss my parents, if they were there I probably would have made it to the top like I did when I was younger with my mom, but I decided I fulfilled my thirst for the desert. I am glad I drove 3 hours to get there, I figure the traffic on the way back and my car now being covered in sand worth it, and I loved going there by myself, but never again.

No comments: