"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure what you do not understand." - Leonardo daVinci

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

"Antimalware Doctor" (bad medicine)

Antimalware Doctor decided to attack MY computer, so I got alll these pop ups and I knew it was bullshit from the start. I looked online and googled for like an hour telling me how to remove it manually but mostly it was, "download this antispyware" because deleting it manually was "too hard". I was like, fuck it. I downloaded one of them, I forgot which it was. I think it was from 2-viruses.com or something like that, and it didn't do anything to my computer it just required you to buy the program before it actually removed the threats. SOOO I uninstalled that and tried to remove it manually. I read that you have to go into your task manager (press alt+ctrl+del) and so I went into Processes and found two things that actually said antimalware (a smart virus wouldn't name itself for you...I know this) so I was looking for other things that looked suspicious, and BAM the 2 things i deleted popped back up again. I deleted those proccess trees about 4 times before I was like fuck this shit! I went into applications, when that little antimalware box was still on the bottom on my computer and i right clicked it (in the applications) and it gave u an option to go directly to that process, so i did and ofcourse it wasn't named antimalware, it was setupupdater0000.exe. So I deleted that along with the other two, they didn't pop up again. So then I went into my registry (you go to your start and in the search bar type regedit, and click the Registry Editor. First I deleted HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Antimalware Doctor Inc\Antimalware Doctor. (You click the HKEY_CURRENT_USER folder, then the Software folder, etc). Then I deleted HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Antimalware Doctor. And the site I was looking at (http://www.removevirus.org/antimalware-doctor.html) told me to delete HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run "Antimalware Doctor.exe". But I clicked both Run folders and I didn't see that ANYWHERE. So all the while I have my control panel up where you uninstall programs and as well you know when you try to click uninstall antimalware doctor, it won't let you so with each thing i delete i try to uninstall it (to see if it works) and the pop up no longer comes up but now it's saying that i have to finish changing the program, so lightbulb goes off in my head and instead I go into the same Run folder and look for that setupupdater0000.exe file and I find it and I delete that. Then I go into my Programs and click uninstall and it says the program has already been uninstalled and disappears. Haven't had a pop up since.

No comments: